Monday, March 22, 2010


In January, I wrote about my sock epiphany whereby I realized I could make a pair of socks for myself, or anyone else who agrees like my DH, that are not exactly a pair.  I am using the same yarn, the same size needles but I have allowed myself to play with differing instep and cuff patterns on each sock.  The exception may be the feather and fan pattern which always seems fun and centering.

This realization has kept me interested in what I am making enough so that since it's inception I have not had Second Sock Syndrome.  Major credit also goes to Cathy C for her toe-up enthusiasm and designing leading to my Bare Bones Toe-up Sock Pattern.  I think the last 4 pairs are from that pattern.

Knitting two socks at once on two circular needles feels too slow to my easily bored brain so instead I Leap Frog. That's a method where I start one sock to a certain point, like increasing the toe to the required stitches, then start the second sock, bringing it to the same place but also moving ahead to the next section.  Then I go back and bring the first sock up to that point and beyond.  Requires 4 circs of the same size, but feels more fun and satisfying.

So back to the reason I am writing this blog entry ------- The two Sherbert & Ernie socks were leap frogged until one had the heel completed and the other needed it done. Then, because a lot of social knitting was required (heel turning is not conducive to conversation), I continued to work on the first sock, completing its cuff.  Finally, a couple of quiet hours opened up and the second heel was turned and its gusset stitches nibbled up like a bunny.

On each of these socks I had played with a stitch pattern, one a simple twisted stitch ribbing with plain knitting between each round

and the second modified from the Harmony guides.  (My stitch count is divisible by 4.)
In the Harmony Guide (450 Knitting Stitches) on p58, is Single Lace Rib, a vertical design. 

RS: k1*yf, k2tog, p1, k1*
WS: p1*yb, p2tog, k1, p1*

Converted to round knitting the above becomes:
R1: *yf, k2tog, p1, k1*
R2: *yf, k2tog, p1, k1*

Hmmnnn - the same for each round unless one wants to do a round of purling which I'd prefer not to.

As starting a needle with a yo can be awkward, I moved the pattern around a bit to:

*k2tog, yo, k1, p1*

This produced a very nice rib but was slanted to the left.  After several rounds I considered either continuing with this repeat allowing the cuff to be a swirl (maybe next time)
seeing if I could make the diagonal go to the right.

As an experiment I thought to start simple so as to be able to modify the repeat logically.
Therefore, after 10 rounds of the original, I switched to:

*yo, k2tog, k1, p1*

And after a only few rounds I could see the ribbing go to the right!!!

It has been said by someone, but I can't seem to find who, that all has already been invented but we do discover things on our own.  I am sure this pattern set must be somewhere in the Barbara Walker volumes but for now I am not looking, instead reveling in my own inventiveness and creativity and sharing the find with you all.

No comments: