Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Star is Worn is now to be known as Estrella

When Knit Picks said yes to this pattern they also wanted a new name.  I can understand that "A Star is Worn" may just be too close to the 1976 motion picture 'A Star is Born' starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.  When I looked this up I found that 2 earlier movies were also filmed; the 1937 version was a drama starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, and the 1954 version was a musical film starring Judy Garland and James Mason.


  I wanted to keep the word star in the name as the main pattern on the wings of this faroese shawl forms small star shapes, so I came up with Estrella which means star in Spanish.  Knit Picks approved the new name and so it shall be.

Yesterday the shawl was blocked.  Well not that simple really since I had to find a place to block it first.  My bed was out as the cat and the dog sleep there way too much to take a chance on leaving a shawl on it. My worktable is currently covered with old jeans and such in preparation for cleaning out my closet (well its a good intention anyway).  So I finally took the skein winder and odd hanks of hand spun and the big swift off the worktable, cleaned it up (actually I had been meaning to do that for quite a while) and set out the blocking blocks.  I also got to use the nice blocking wires Jim got for me for Xmas last year.  They were perfect for this shawl.

Today I tucked in all the loose ends (Imagination [alpaca/wool] and Gloss [merino/silk]) and finally finally finalized the pattern.  It all goes out to Knit Picks tomorrow.  Most likely they will want to use their own model for the shawl so I'll let you know when it's available on their site.




No comments: