Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Basel's surgery

Along with many older dogs, Basel has some fatty tumors.  One grew between his front legs, like a breast. Our vet, John, said that as long as it was not under an armpit or causing any problems that we should just watch it.   For the past 9 months he wore a size 40 C black bra to keep it from being injured.  For the last 3 weeks his bra size was a 40 D.  Then he outgrew the D.   (BTW Jim is on a wilderness canoeing trip with his daughter and grands so I am without his help but have wonderful friends stepping up with this crisis.)  On Monday afternoon I called the vet to make an appointment to have it looked at.  John said he didn't have to look at it, he'd take my word for it being time to bring Basel in for surgery.  

I tried to be positive but had heard so much about disturbing these tumors that I was pretty restless all night.  John is the one who did the very wonderful football injury surgery on Baz' knee 2 winters ago. I know he's a good surgeon and that Baz was in very good hands.

So at 9 am I left Baz in a nice cage with his teddy and came home to do what I usually do when I am anxious.  I get a lot of stuff done that I usually avoid.  In between being anxious I tried to let the oars go and the boat to float downstream as the Universe wanted it to go.  I prayed to have it all come out the best for all of us.

When I called at 1:30, the technician told me Baz was operated on first thing in the morning and that the surgery was done by 10. Whew!  I knew if the surgery took very long it would not be very good news.  She said he was resting comfortably and doing quite well.  That I should come in around 3 to speak with John and pick up the Baz.  This vet believes that animals heal better at home so if the human can manage it he sends the recuperating dog or cat home the same day.   I agree with him whole heartedly.

So I accomplished a lot more 'forgotten' stuff and left the house at 2:30.  Of course I got behind a dump truck doing 45 and then we had a deluge.  Once I got there the technician checked to see if Baz was awake and he was, so I did the emptying my bank account thing into their coffers, then listened to the med instructions and then waited for John to be free to speak with me.

John acts very matter of fact.  He speaks very fast and very technical.  His bedside manner is atrocious.  I think if I was just starting with them now I might not stay, but, since I was introduced to this clinic via his then wife, who is also a vet, but very mothering and working more on the homeopathic side, I got used to him.  Also when we decided it was time to let SmokeyBlue go to that great green bunny heaven, John had tears in his eyes as he gave the little guy his shot.  He also was quite sympathetic and supporting.  So I have learned that he has a crusty outside with a soft inside.

So while we go out to my car and John is picking up this 81# rottie and unceremoniously putting him into the back of my Pilot, he is telling me about dead blood and serum and seepage, all in the rain.  I asked him to explain and repeat several things but in essence, all is well.  He said he thought I'd be wasting my money to send a sample to the lab as he was mostly sure it was a fatty tumor and that it would not grow back.

Carole met me as I turned onto my road, and together we urged Baz down his car ramp and the steps into the house.  He was still sleepy but not in any pain.  Carole, a nurse, and I added some absorbent pads, an Ace bandage wrapped like a Bandito and some sticky flex wrap over it all to hold more in place as he had already moved enough to dislodge the surgical wraps.

Basel is alert, happy, moving well but sleeping a lot today.  I am happy, relieved and delighted with the prognosis.

To celebrate here's a new Jacquie Lawson Pelmanism card for you to play with.  
Click here to go to its page.


Karen said...

Glad to hear that Baz is doing well. This must have been extra stressful for you to go through it without Jim. It is always amazing to me how well our pets worm their way into our hearts. We have owned cats and dogs, and every time we lose one my heart breaks, I sob forever, and swear I will never have another because I just can't hurt like this again. But of course life is quite empty without them, so we always go to the shelter and find a new family member. We just lost our cat of 16 yrs, but I take solace in the happy purring of our 4 yr old, ginormous tabby who loves nothing more than to be patted, picked up, and sleep.

I'm sure Baz will be well cared for during his recovery, and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

I'll be posting a follow up in a couple of days.