Once the sample is done its snail mailed to Knit Picks and also the pattern is uploaded via computer. I often take my own pictures but theirs are way better as they use a professional photog and models. This again slows down the publishing time but makes for a better presentation.
The Starflower Beret was originally made in Sea Glass yarn which is a bit busy for the pattern. You can't really see the beads all that well. This is one of my photos (thanks to Chris for modeling) which was submitted for the pattern.
And here is one of KnitPicks' photos of the finished sample.
And a close up of the top
While I was working on this I had a brainstorm for doing it in 3 colors. I tried, really I tried, to put the idea away but it wouldn't leave so I had me some photoshop fun making a virtual sample.
Submitted and accepted within 2 weeks. KP then sent me 3 wonderful purples to play with and here is the 3-color beret in process.
Neat fun and rather challenging to write but compelling at the same time.