Monday, June 24, 2013

Crochet Hook Beading

OR  
Never string another bead for a knitting project again.

I love beads.  Well I seem to love glitz, which is why I add angelina to most of my Pixie Batts and favor yarn with stellina.  I also find ways to add beads to most of my patterns in one way or another.

At vendings when I tell folks that they can add the beads one at a time, exactly where they are called for, people get rather happy and want to use this method.  After all stringing 100 or 500 or even 1000 beads is tedious at best and feels like the string weighs 6 pounds instead of a few ounces.  Also moving those beads up and down the yarn actually begins to wear on the thread as well.

So first off put your beads into an open container.  The container can have a lid but leave it open for now.  Also acquire a steel US 9-12 crochet hook.  

Skewer a bead.

Snag the next stitch (the one that is to be beaded) with the hook.

Pull the loop through the bead being careful not to split the yarn.

Now replace that beaded loop back onto the left needle and knit or purl as directed.

That all folks!  Simple, easy and convenient.  
The only thing you might want to do is slide the bead up the stitch a bit once it is knit.  
Really now, even those of you who have stayed away from beaded items can add some glitz in your projects too.

No comments: