Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Illumination

Once upon a time, long long ago, I earned my living doing Natural Science Illustration.  I was pretty good at it too but at the time just did not know how to wear all the hats necessary to success very well.  I did a book, Prune (horrible title), which was translated into Danish plus some calendar illustrations and a bunch of work for a local press until they moved to CA.  Way back then, sending illustrations by the internet was chancy and too unusual so that work finally dwindled.  I did get other assignments and accounts but, again, I'd much rather draw than beat the bushes for work.


When times were economically unsure I did Home Teaching for the Ithaca School District.  That was very different from Home Schooling.  I would meet with a kid that was sick or suspended and tutor him/her through assignments from his/her teachers.  Actually I liked doing that and the steady money so well, I took the needed credits and student teaching placement.  Drawing for myself and some accounts continued but it dwindled over the years.

Dyeing yarn, working on my website and dyeing fiber, with occasional drawing, is what the creative urges have channeled in to.

Until this week.  

For the past couple of weeks knitting designs have been pouring out of me.  I have written a cowl and a hat pattern. Have rewritten 2 cuff down patterns to toe up and am in process of some really neat toe up socks that will look splendiferous in sandals this spring.  Plus a vest and another shruggy are in the works.
copyright S Sarabasha 2/2011

This illustration is to help with the double cast on for toe up socks.  It uses long tail but the yarn is doubled. Can you follow the direction your needle will go?

I am also toying with the idea of self publishing a book of my patterns, using fingering yarn in many manifestations.   The working title is taken from my last knitting club.   Finger Knittin' Good.
We shall see.

No comments: