Sunday, March 24, 2013

Iknitarod Frenzy

I really should have written this at least a week or two ago but got so caught up in the Iditarod, Fantasy Iditarod and Iknitarod that I hardly did any work and mostly did knitting and moderating for 10 days.

Each year we follow this amazing race across Alaska.  Even though I taught it in my classes this was one of the few school related things I kept doing after retiring from middle school.

I also do a special colorway each year commemorating the race.
There's fiber too.

During the race, on Ravelry, those of us in the Iknitarod choose something challenging to spin &/or knit.  This year I chose to knit a sweater for wool-aid.org.

My challenge was to complete the Scrap Shawl Collared Sweater, and if time, a matching hat.  I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, bulky and some hand dyed hand spun I just happened to have in my burgeoning stash.


ready to split for the front and back




shawl collar in process.  Very different construction than I am used to but it worked great.


On to the sleeves.



Sleeves done and 2 ear flaps.

Basel was not pleased.  I finished my challenge in a little over 9 days, on the same day that about 25 mushers came under the burled arch in Nome.
I am in process of writing out this hat pattern and will offer it for free very soon.





No comments: